Declaring a Major

Welcome to the History Department!  We’re glad you’ve decided to major in History or Social Studies.  The Department administers both BA degrees.  Typically, students seeking to teach at the secondary level pursue a degree in Social Studies.  All others complete the more traditional History major.

To have your status as a major made official, be sure to fill out a Declaration of Major form in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) Advising Office.

Administrative Secretary

Carolyn Kinkoph, MBA         (216) 687-3920   

Director of Undergraduate Studies

Laura Wertheimer, Ph.D.       (216) 687-3930  

Director of Social Studies

Shelley Rose, Ph.D.

Department Chair

Tom Humphrey, Ph.D.           (216) 687-3920


History Department Online Advising Center (

Starfish Guide for Students (

General Education Advising

Your college adviser provides advising for your General Education and College requirements.  As a History or Social Studies major, you are in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS).  Contact Melissa Steinmetz, Ph.D. at that advising office in Main Classroom (MC) 221, (216) 687-5040.

College of Education Advising

If you are a Social Studies major seeking licensure, you must also declare a Minor in Education and meet with an adviser in the College of Education and Human Services (COEHS), Julka Hall (JH) 170, (216) 687-4625.